PedigreePoint uses MySQL which is a relational database, whereas most other similar systems, e.g. Alfirin, use text files. Alfirin works well for smaller databases but if you have a larger database or you want to offer more advanced reports then PedigreePoint may suit you.
PedigreePoint is available in two versions called "PedigreePoint Lite" and "PedigreePointPro" which are free of charge for private non-commercial use. These two versions are written in PHP and you get the source code so it can be easily adapted to individual needs such as displaying different fields or modifying or creating new reports.
If you would like to see how it works then just - Search a database! On the search page simply enter a search string and click on the Search button. This will return a matching list of names in the database. Clicking on a report such as pedigree or breeding next to a name will display the report for that entry. For examples of what is possible with PedigreePoint technology see this list of sites using PedigreePoint.
There is a Yahoo support group which you can join at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pedpoint/
PedigreePoint is still evolving and we plan to add more features and reports. Information below is for all versions except where advised.Base Features
- fast - most reports run in under a second!
- handles large databases (i.e. > 1,000,000 records)
- can search on fields other than name
- searches can use wild card (*) character and can be anchored to beginning, end, exact or anywhere
- search results can be ordered by name or DOB
- user definable fields - shown on search results, reports and can be optionally searched
- faster uploads using GZip compression
- pedigrees can contain photos
- photo's on pedigrees are hyper-linked to full size images
- date format is user definable
- breeding report
- sibling report with separate lists of full, dam and sire siblings
- new vertical pedigree includes full siblings with each ancestor
- can maintain multiple breed databases in the one MySQL database (www.worldpedigrees.com has 40+ databases)
- you can optionally allow visitors to your site to create links to pedigrees in your database or display pedigrees generated from your web site on their web site
- uses CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) for easy customisation of fonts and colors.
- optionally show sire and dam in search results
- repeated ancestors in pedigrees are colorized
- reverse pedigrees
- optionally log all user activities, e.g. search, pedigree etc
- optionally control how many reports a user can run per day
- all reports with generations, e.g. pedigree, vertical pedigree, reverse pedigree, have convenient links in the header to select a different number of generations
- secure logins so you can control who accesses your web site and how many reports they can run per day
- Web site must have MySQL 4.1 or later
- PedPoint Lite and Pro require a web site with PHP 5.0 or later
- You don't need Pedigree Explorer to manage your web site data, but it does make it easy by offering a single click update for your web site's database. Pedigree Explorer is available from www.breedmate.com.
Some of the differences between the two versions of PedigreePoint are as follows:
- PedPoint Lite is easier to install and does not require the user to have cookies enabled. This will mean less web site administration problems as some users seem to have problems with cookies either due to security settings or incorrect system date time etc.
- PedPoint Lite doesn't have accounts, so it is not necessary for users to login. This means that you can't control who uses your service.
- PedigreePoint Pro is more complex so its harder to install but it does allow you to set up individual accounts for users, limiting who can use your service and how many reports they can run per day.