PedigreePoint uses MySQL which is a relational database, whereas most other similar systems, e.g. Alfirin, use text files. Alfirin works well for smaller databases but if you have a larger database or you want to offer more advanced reports then PedigreePoint may suit you.
PedigreePoint is free of charge for private non-commercial use. Its written in PHP and you get the source code so it can be easily adapted to individual needs such as displaying different fields or modifying or creating new reports.
If you would like to see how it works then just - Search a database! On the search page simply enter a search string and click on the Search button. This will return a matching list of names in the database. Clicking on a report such as pedigree or breeding next to a name will display the report for that entry. For examples of what is possible with PedigreePoint technology see this list of sites using PedigreePoint.
There is a Yahoo support group which you can join at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pedpoint/
PedigreePoint is still evolving and we plan to add more features and reports. We have now released V4.2 which includes trial matings.
- fast - most reports run in under a second!
- handles large databases (i.e. > 1,000,000 records)
- can search on fields other than name
- searches can use wild card (*) character and can be anchored to beginning, end, exact or anywhere
- search results can be ordered by name or DOB
- user definable fields - shown on search results, reports and can be optionally searched
- faster uploads using GZip compression
- pedigrees can contain photos
- photo's on pedigrees are hyper-linked to full size images
- date format is user definable
- offspring report
- sibling report with separate lists of full, dam and sire siblings
- new vertical pedigree includes full siblings with each ancestor
- can maintain multiple breed databases in the one MySQL database (www.worldpedigrees.com has 40+ databases)
- you can optionally allow visitors to your site to create links to pedigrees in your database or display pedigrees generated from your web site on their web site
- written to the HTML5 standard
- uses CSS3 (Cascading Style Sheets) for easy customisation of fonts and colors.
- optionally show sire and dam in search results
- repeated ancestors in pedigrees are colorized
- reverse pedigrees
- optionally log all user activities, e.g. search, pedigree etc
- all reports with generations, e.g. pedigree, vertical pedigree, reverse pedigree, have convenient links in the header to select a different number of generations
- trial matings
- users can either not login OR you can require them to login with an account and password so you can control who accesses your web site
- optionally control how many reports a user can run per day
- Web site must have MySQL 4.1 or later
- PedPoint requires a web site with PHP 5.0 or later
- You don't need Pedigree Explorer to manage your web site data, but it does make it easy by offering a single click update for your web site's database. Pedigree Explorer is available from www.breedmate.com.
The software and this web site is written and maintained by Wild Systems, an Australian company. We also supply pedigree software, BreedMate and Pedigree Explorer which provides functions for exporting data to PedigreePoint. If you would like a copy of the latest installer for either PedPoint Lite or Pro then email us at support@NO_SPAM_PLEASEbreedmate.com (remove the NO_SPAM_PLEASE).